I’m going to be writing up lessons I’ve learned from writing a book and finding a publisher. Here’s a quick overview:
1. Persistence pays
2. Writing in school or workshops is nothing like writing for publication.
3. Most of writing is rewriting
4. Everyone is trying to sell to the same few markets. Try the places that aren’t getting attention. It all goes on Amazon anyway.
5. Publication is still better than self-publication
6. Find a place to write
7. For a solitary activity, writing requires a lot of help
8. Spend the money you need to spend
9. Only take advice from published authors. Authors, not agents, not publishers. Agents and publishers only say what they want, not what OTHER publishers and agents want.
10. Don’t be greedy
11. You aren’t special
12. You are special
13. You need an agent to crack the big time, but there’s a lot to be said for small time.
14. Listen to feedback
15. It’s a job
I’ll add more as time goes on.